More than 100% increase in fee?

Frankc

Question

15 answers to this question

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi Frankc,

I'd like to start by providing some background if I may. In the Spring of 2015 the pricing structure for Support & Updates was changed, introducing its first price increase in over 8 years for the renewal cost of Support & Updates. At the same time, we also introduced the ability to renew for 6 Months.

While we understand that no one likes a price increase, we hope that even with the higher price, you will still find the benefit and value that our product brings to your company justifies the cost. Our support and updates had remained at the old price for many years, and the support and updates fees are integral to our ability to continue to provide not only the best quality support but also the continued updates and developments to the software that benefits owned licence holders like yourself.

It's probably because it is leaps and bounds ahead of its competitors. I've tried Blesta, it's way cheaper, but some of the features ( very basic ) are lacking. Like logging into cPanel, they don't even have a simple login to cPanel/WHM/Webmail button like WHMCS, instead they have to click on a service, which reveals a dropdown menu with the password VISIBLE, before they can click login. Oh, and on the service bar, if you click on the service name or the Manage button beside it, it takes you to a page where you can upgrade/downgrade the service or cancel it.. Nothing on Logging into cPanel, and clients were having problems with it asking me how to login into their cPanel, since WHMCS does it so well in comparison

You do know that it's possible to price yourself right out of a job.Please do not forget guys that I can have a custom website built that can do everything that you offer for $125/month. And that comes with 24/7 support and that is a lot more than you offer. It took me 12 tries just to get into your forum because you are not very user friendly.Doubling your fees would not be that bad if we did not have to buy everything else once we paid for it. That is why building a custom site would be cheaper.

Edited by Brother John

Hi Frankc,

I'd like to start by providing some background if I may. In the Spring of 2015 the pricing structure for Support & Updates was changed, introducing its first price increase in over 8 years for the renewal cost of Support & Updates. At the same time, we also introduced the ability to renew for 6 Months.

While we understand that no one likes a price increase, we hope that even with the higher price, you will still find the benefit and value that our product brings to your company justifies the cost. Our support and updates had remained at the old price for many years, and the support and updates fees are integral to our ability to continue to provide not only the best quality support but also the continued updates and developments to the software that benefits owned licence holders like yourself.

I'd have to echo Brother John's comments. The increase in support without adding truly beneficial things like being able to copy a product add on when you are adding multiple HDD's to a product is unwarranted and a slight money grab. Heck, I still can not get your auto update feature to even work on our network but yet I have to pay to support this broken functionality.

If we don't start seeing some movement on adding some basic functionality to the system, we are going to have to have a serious conversation about abandoning WHMCS a second time. We left the first time due to broken PDF invoices that went unresolved for several revisions.

It's an extremely bold move anytime a company has to raise pricing, and I actually admire WHMCS for doing it.

I've always thought their product was under-valued but much of this can be contributed to the crowded market in the early 2000s. Look how many "good" web hosting software companies actually stuck around. Most everyone that was around in the late 90's/early 2000s are gone. They under sold their products and couldn't keep up with the support and development costs.

Personally, I was REALLY concerned how this would effect us as a Reseller, since we provide a free WHMCS license with some of our packages. However, we've made adjustments on our end, and along with their new licensing plugin things are actually going quite smooth.

I know there are some that are never going to be happy about the increase in price and I'm sure they have reasons that make sense.

But looking at the industry in a long-term perspective, I believe they're moving in a positive direction that will allow them to continue to be innovative all while keeping up with their current support and development needs.

Just my two cents :).

They under sold their products and couldn't keep up with the support and development costs.

Not sure I agree there. The largest would likely be Modernbill (not many others were very good, like Perlbill, phpmanager and so on), and they came out with a catastrophic failure of a release, sold out and fell down hard. That large failure pretty much catapulted WHMCS (who began around 2005, based on domain reg) into view as an inexpensive alternative. I don't believe it was price that caused the others to fail, it was more likely not being committed to the product they'd created.

Guys you need to be real careful on this. Some resellers like myself use your service because of its integration with cPanel and other companies for the purposes of convenience. But I find not only do I have to pay you I also have to pay to use the integration and I think that is a little much. There are new companies out there that will take your business away from you because of od a better system for less money. Just look at this free hosting reseller account <removed by moderator> It had a lot of the same functions as you offer and it's free.You have a good product don't price yourself out of the market.

Edited by WHMCS ChrisD

You have a good product don't price yourself out of the market.

That true with this price i see clients already leaving. I see company charger high then couple year they gone because other company out they charger less :) Once again your product is good and i like it b/c I do whmcs modules but if you kept charger high am going lost clients. :)

Just look at this free hosting reseller account

What does your own Duoservers resellers account have to do with WHMCS and it's billing system?

Are you actually using WHMCS, or their built in billing system and Hepsia control panel?

Edited by bear

"Andrew" if you are going to edit a post please state the reason why. Old men can't see good to read all your forum rules.

This is under that post:

Last edited by WHMCS Andrew; Today at 08:31 AM. Reason: Links removed

I'm no spring chicken, and could read it fine. ;)

"Andrew" if you are going to edit a post please state the reason why. Old men can't see good to read all your forum rules.

Please take time to review our rules, they are pretty straight forward and mostly common sense, failing to adhere to these may end up in you being banned from the community, we ask all community members to do this and you where PM'd by myself when you joined advising you to review