Impressed with InvisionPower

I have to admit that I don't use InvisionPower either in a website or personally as forum user for years, but recently I noticed that 2-4 sites where I participate, other communities, suddenly are on a very nice forum software. Most have the talk name on it instead of forum.

Then I signed up recently with another developer forum, and again this was a self-hosted one, but the forum was again InvisionPower. It seems more than one website/company is migrating to them.

I have to say that I'm impressed a user how amazing that forum software works. Not the train wreck that Vbulletin is. (do you hear that WHMCS). The interface is so great that I just want to keep posting on those sites :)

When someone quotes or replies your posts, it sends a browser notification. I never got one single error when hitting submit and the I like button is also very nice. But better, the way it quotes posts, and when you copy or refer a link, it shows an HTML snippet and the nice notification toggle button to get notified.... I could go on and on.

I'm impressed, to be honest. That is what I call a good software that improves and motivates a community on a site or brand.

I imagined that XenForo was the best out there, but I'm wrong. Not only is InvisionPower affordable (self-hosted) but it's just shocking how many large enterprises and brands are using them now. And with no surprise, it is absolutely fantastic in terms of user interface, speed, stability, and features. It was never bad, but it just wasn't as good as other ones. Today, it probably is the best forum/community software.

One of the reasons I don't like to participate as much here anymore is because Vbulletin is so horrible. Always a problem when posting code, it has all types of problems running under HTTPS and it's just slow and very hard to use. And I lost more than once my post.

Please WHMCS, make your community a favor and switch.

• 2 weeks later...

I do agree. New IPB (the latest version with Clubs) is by far the best forum software for me. I own licenses for all forums (vBulletin, xenForo, IPB, WBB) but I must admit that IPB rocks.

As for vBulletin. Half agree with you. Yes, it has a boring interface but don't forget that version 4.0 is 8 years old. Also some misworking things here (I've post them in separate thread) are not coming from vBulletin but from that extra reCaptach checks that CloudFlare adds. I also lost many posts. Finally some others of the problems comes from the style. I like Metro style, have bought it almost 3 years ago at Themeforest, but has some bugs.

I do agree. New IPB (the latest version with Clubs) is by far the best forum software for me. I own licenses for all forums (vBulletin, xenForo, IPB, WBB) but I must admit that IPB rocks.

As for vBulletin. Half agree with you. Yes, it has a boring interface but don't forget that version 4.0 is 8 years old. Also some misworking things here (I've post them in separate thread) are not coming from vBulletin but from that extra reCaptach checks that CloudFlare adds. I also lost many posts. Finally some others of the problems comes from the style. I like Metro style, have bought it almost 3 years ago at Themeforest, but has some bugs.

Don't forget all the security issues VB had and probably are still around in the code...

If memory serves me right, WHMCS was actually hacked once trough an exploit in the VB forum software, so I'm a bit surprised they are still using it after this.

While all softwares have bugs VB is not very active anymore supporting their product as they were in the past. One more reason to probably switch. IPB always existed and they were inferior to VB in the past. Today it seems they have an incredible portfolio of big brands and customers and the reason is that their software looks excellent today.

As an end user, I really enjoy sites using IPB for their communities. The experience is really smooth while posting and reading.