Community Forums

Discuss, share and get help from our community of friendly WHMCS users

Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb How can we make the community better in 2017?

Hi Everyone,

I'm opening this thread to start a general discussion. Part of my role at WHMCS involves helping grow and foster the WHMCS community in 2017, and a large part of that is right here on the forums. With that in mind, I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas on the following questions:

• What do you feel is working well?
    • What do you feel could be improved?
    • What would you like to see more of?
    • What could we do to make the forums more useful for you?

Any other thoughts and comments are also welcome.

Please take a few moments to let us know below, or if you prefer, you can log a private thread in the Forum Assistance Category or send me a PM. I look forward to hearing your open, honest and constructive feedback.

Thanks!
    Thanks,
    Chris D.

WHMCompleteSolution
    The Complete Client Management, Billing & Support Solution
    www.whmcs.com

Default Re: How can we make the community better in 2017?

What good does it do to actually voice opinions that would make the community (or company) better as a whole? Neither you, nor the rest of the team at WHMCS listen.
    Case in point:
    It's been said, since inception, on the forums that you need to bring back proper developer documentation. Has this happened yet? No, in fact, it looks like you've made it worse. Not you, specifically, but the company you represent.

You ask for opinion, yet when you get it, you don't do a thing about it, but make the problem worse.

Quote Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
    What good does it do to actually voice opinions that would make the community (or company) better as a whole? Neither you, nor the rest of the team at WHMCS listen.
    Case in point:
    It's been said, since inception, on the forums that you need to bring back proper developer documentation. Has this happened yet? No, in fact, it looks like you've made it worse. Not you, specifically, but the company you represent.

You ask for opinion, yet when you get it, you don't do a thing about it, but make the problem worse.
    Thanks for your feedback, this thread is not asking about the Development Documentation, nor anything else other we do other than the forum.

I would point out that we have started implmenting improvements on the forum, take the Mobile Theme as a prime example, now whilst the request has been made to add WYSIWYG to it vBulletin has a platform limitation around it that doesn't allow it in the Mobile Themes. In addition I am working to address the issues flagged with Cloudflare particularly around the code samples. Now, if you have anything constructive to add about the forums and what you'd like to see then I'd like to hear it
    Thanks,
    Chris D.

WHMCompleteSolution
    www.whmcs.com

Quote Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
    It's been said, since inception, on the forums that you need to bring back proper developer documentation.
    @twhiting9275 The new developer docs pages are in their infancy as we have just rolled out the new changes for this.

If you see there is something that is missing, or could use better documentation, please feel free to fork the repo from here: https://github.com/WHMCS/developer-docs

Then you will have a version in which you can make modification to and submit a Pull Request for review and if accepted will be merged into the upstream.

This will work for everything in the developer docs pages except for the hooks and api lists as these are pulled directly from the doc blocks in the source code itself.

You are more than welcome to submit an issue for one of these via GITHUB or open a bug case to have this investigated so we can input the proper case type and have it added.

Thanks!
    WHMCS
    Technical Analyst II
    whmcs.com

Have you checked our Docs and Videos
    docs.whmcs.com
    whmcs.com/get-support/video-tutorials

I'm a great fan of the improved mobile theme.

Also finding these forums a great resource again now that Infopro is not passively (and not so passively) being a *@#$ to users here.

I'd like to see extra integration with the Feature Requests. A way to link a thread to one or to be able to vote directly. Even a SSO would be a good step forward

Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    I'm a great fan of the improved mobile theme.

I'd like to see extra integration with the Feature Requests. A way to link a thread to one or to be able to vote directly. Even a SSO would be a good step forward
    Thanks for your feedback Damo, glad to hear you like the mobile theme, I'll add SSO to the list to see what we are able to do
    Thanks,
    Chris D.

WHMCompleteSolution
    www.whmcs.com

Maybe the link to the forum via active WHMCS installation can bypass the waiting period?

Still have no access to edit my profile which is a basic thing in forums.

Seems actual owners, users of WHMCS could verify ourselves and bypass the filtering?

Quote Originally Posted by HostCops View Post
    Maybe the link to the forum via active WHMCS installation can bypass the waiting period?

Still have no access to edit my profile which is a basic thing in forums.

Seems actual owners, users of WHMCS could verify ourselves and bypass the filtering?
    Thanks for your feedback HostCops,

The ability to edit your profile is restricted based on the rank you have on the community rather than via any form of authentication.
    Thanks,
    Chris D.

WHMCompleteSolution
    www.whmcs.com

Put brian! in charge of the forum and support.

He is almost the only who always provides serious help and answers...

It seems logical to me that some WHMCS development staff (load could be shared) should be involved in forum discussions. While at times some do post, it doesn't seem to be with any consistency and often issues they weigh into are just left in the air.. ie they don't provide another update on the forum.

Surely it's reasonable to think that with a software community like this (used by so many people) a developer should always be available to weigh into development issues. Think of the support ticket loads it would save.. people usually (but not always) check a forum to see if the issue they are facing has been addressed before opening a ticket.

I know at Joomla we do this with each version: https://docs.joomla.org/Category:Version_3.6.5_FAQ (see the links to issues with the release lower on the page) WHMCS should IMHO do something similar here on the forum as they don't have any other location in public with such information.
    Last edited by xyzulu; 02-08-17 at 10:50 PM.
    Brad Baker
    xyzulu.hosting

+1 on xyzulu's post - the developers should be responding to the questions in the developer forums. It's impossible to get any information there that really helps, the mods just try to answer with some pre written infos or links to documentation we already read. I always had to open a ticket, which makes the developer area of the forum useless in most cases.

The same goes for the feature requests, but this is not the topic here.

Quote Originally Posted by aggrosoft View Post
    +1 on xyzulu's post - the developers should be responding to the questions in the developer forums. It's impossible to get any information there that really helps, the mods just try to answer with some pre written infos or links to documentation we already read. I always had to open a ticket, which makes the developer area of the forum useless in most cases.
    i'd go along with that too - they only rear their heads here during a beta period and once that's over, they disappear until the next beta... and so on.

any time you need to do something undocumented (or documented but the info there is wrong), you end up wasting time trying random ideas in the hope one will work... with nearly all the files being encrypted, and the documentation being flaky at best, the WHMCS developers would be a useful addition to the forums... even an occasional visit.

An option to have more than 5 messages stored in the message system, it's to few!

Quote Originally Posted by itoverblik View Post
    An option to have more than 5 messages stored in the message system, it's to few!
    Hi Itoverbilk,

Users receive more PMs as they move out of Newbie status which does require more interaction on the forums.
    Thanks,
    Chris D.

WHMCompleteSolution
    www.whmcs.com

Quote Originally Posted by WHMCS ChrisD View Post
    Hi Itoverbilk,

Users receive more PMs as they move out of Newbie status which does require more interaction on the forums.
    This is not blackhat forum or is it being used to sell subscription so you have to give regular members such limit.
    Chris, I think you need to either quit being part of the community or find someone who is truly capable and willing to help like Brian.

We need WHMCS TEAM to provide solutions and not just make a post with no real solution.
    Wordpress Management Services---> www.wpcheetah.com"
    Proud WHMCS Beta Tester

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast