Which Payment Gateway do you use in Australia?

rabbie

Hey Everyone,

I am currently using 2checkout.com because I hate paypal but I am looking to switch to another provider because the interface at 2co is just total crap and its impossible to use or understand.

So I was wondering what are others in Australia using? and if they're any good?

Thanks.

Rabbie.

• 2 weeks later...

I just moved away from 2checkout.com . . . very evil! They have taken 3 weeks (and counting) so far to transfer the funds into our account.

I just hooked up with paymate! Second best decision i ever made... Second to purchasing WHMCS :D Money was in our account within 24 hours :D and the fee's are better than Paypal!

Hmmmm.... just been looking at the fees etc. It may be a good alternative for automation for us until Westpac decide to be a little more helpful :)

Am I correct in saying that if using the "eBUSINESS Account" the ONLY fees incurre using Paymate are:

http://www.paymate.com.au/help/help.do?helpSet=paymate&item=svcfees

Monthly fee of AU$33.00 pays for the first AU$2,000 in credit card payments received. Credit card payments received above AU$2,000 charged at 1.7%+GST. (upto $10,000 dollars)

... means that the buyer does not incurr any extra charges. There would still also then be the CC charge fees applied by the bank, does that sound correct?

Cheers,

Paul

• 4 months later...

We use Paymate and Paypal as well as accepting direct deposits and cheques from Australian customers.

I would argue that Paymate could be more expensive than Paypal. This would depend on the setup I guess. The fees can be seen @ https://www.paymate.com.au/help/help.do?helpSet=paymate&item=svcfees and are based on the package you sign up for. The Standard account has zero monthly fees and then charge 2.4% and then charge GST on the fee.

Then there is a buyer fee. This fee is charged to the buyer but can be absorbed by the seller. Which is what we do. The fees are:

Make a credit card payment in Australian Dollars. All cards. AU$0.50 + 3%

Make a credit card payment in US Dollars. All cards. US$0.50 + 3%

Make a credit card payment in EURO. All cards. EURO 0.25 + 3%

Make a credit card payment in GBP Pounds. All cards. GBP 0.25 + 3%

Make a credit card payment in NZD Dollars. All cards. NZD $0.50 + 3%

So for a $35AUD sale absorbing the sellers fee you will get charged $2.62 inclusive of GST @ Paymate and 1.14 @ Paypal.

The good thing about Paymate is that the funds are transferred within 24hours of the transaction to your bank account.

• 2 months later...
I know what you mean because I really hate Paypal too, but don't many of those merchant "paypal alternative" accounts not accept business outside of the United States?

I'm not sure all those problems exist with paypal.com.au. They have to meet Australian Financial Services regulations and the web site claims they do:

PayPal Australia Pty Limited ABN 93 111 195 389 (AFSL 304962)

The AFSL number is an Australian Financial Services Licence.

Most of the payment gateways mentioned so far have been Australian or operate in Australia.

Pay Mate uses any private bank account, which is way cheaper than using a business account.

eWay needs a merchant account (I think) which is different again to a business account. For some bloody obscure reason banks wont let us trade credit/debit cards without one, especially via the Internet. (Hmm, that may require a letter to the ACCC).

There is also http://www.ezypay.com.au and http://www.e-path.com.au but I don't remember much about those two.

If you do any research, please post the results.

Cheers,

Mike

Just had a quick look at e-Path and it would make sense for me to look at them for two reasons.

(1) After 30 customers, e-Path is cheaper than PayPal (Basic account $242.00 incl GST Yearly).

(2) Multiple Licence for up to 4 web sites ($330.00 incl GST Yearly + $55 for each a/c over 4)

Both accounts have a $22 set up fee.

Unfortunately WHMCS doesn't have an e-Path interface. :?

Cheers,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I want to know the reason of your hate with paypal because I have been using paypal since 2 years and I have never got any problems yet. Please tell me why you hate with paypal.

Thanks!

The first thing that comes to my mind is their exchange rates suck.

Second, we have to jump through hoops to work with our own money.

If you don't want to carry the expense of a merchant account, paymate.com.au would be the way to go. They are a tad more expensive than PayPal if you absorb your customers expenses but it is supposed to work with a normal bank account. Being able to use a normal account is a $400 start up saving and no $15 monthly bank charge.

Cheers,

Mike

• 4 years later...

I'd have a look at SecurePay. It's a very flexible product that is very easy to integrate with your chosen shopping cart. And it has flexible and transparent pricing... Have a look at /http://onlineassistant.securepay.com.au, it really helped me with the understanding how a payment gateway works too.

I'd recommend using SecurePay (onlineassistant.securepay.com.au)... very reliable and flexible service - the pay-as-you go pricing has been really useful for our young business. The interface is very easy to use and I've found it easy to manage transactions online.

The most commonly used payment gateway for small merchants in Australia currently seems to be eWay. They have good support and plugins and modules are available for just about any eCommerce system you can think of, including, obviously, a very mature and stable implementation in WHMCS. Their website provides a good reporting service if you want to check transactions online and they also provide a credit card token storage system which means they store the credit card number for you, which is much more secure.

As Bear points out, hpwall is probably a paid advertiser hired to comment in forums like these. That in itself is a dis-recommendation for SecurePay. I don't work for either eWay or Securepay but have used eWay for about 8 years for myself and for customers.

Just a note to mention that eWay is a full merchant payment service so you will need a "merchant account" with an Aussie bank. We found St George to be much more understanding of new small business needs than the other banks at the time, and others have reported the same. The advantage of this setup, though it costs a little more than Paypal etc, is that the money is in your account, usually the next day, and if not, the day thereafter. With Paypal and paymate you need to do transfers I beleive, which can make cashflow harder.

[this is not to be taken to mean that the others aren't good, just less common IMO. I haven't used Paymate so can't comment.]

Edited by brianoz